Saturday 16 July 2011

Monster Munch Pt.2 - Raven Lord

I spent another couple of sessions on this piece, I'll explain the progression below.

To carry on in the style of the last post, most of this is the 5th step (rendering), until later when I come to finish the image and change the overall dynamics of the piece.



After coming back and taking another look (and flipping the image), I noticed some flaws.  The wing, and the direction of the falling leg.  So to correct this, I copy merged the wing / leg, paste into a new normal layer, and shift / rotate it into position, following with erasing the outer sharp edges of the layer to blend it in.



I decided a guy floating in the air was a little boring, so started to experiment with some compositional textures to make the image as a whole look more balanced.



I liked where this was going so to break up the bland textures I added some more bold sharp brush strokes, the ending effect to give the impression of the character appearing upwards from a foggy / steamy atmosphere, the darker area being the foreground, and also acting as a framing element for the composition.



I decided to work in some of the finer details as well as adding some reflective lighting here.



Step 6 - Finishing an image - When I decided I had put in enough detail, I finished the image by looking at the overall tonal balance of the image, which wasn't too striking to me, so with some final overlay / brightness and colour balance layers I pushed the dynamics around and finished by sharpening the main focus of the image (the character) with an unsharp mask (filter / sharpen / unsharp mask).

Thank you for reading, and any questions are of course welcomed!
- Greg

Upcoming Tutorials -
- Make your own brushes
- Rendering your images

No comments:

Post a Comment